Assistant Project Manager
Company: APi Construction Company
Location: New Brighton, MN
APi Construction Company (www.apiconst.com) proudly traces its roots back to 1926. Today APi Construction continues to be a nationally recognized union specialty contractor concentrating in the areas of insulation, lagging, siding, roofing and scaffolding. Our organization is committed to our employees, and it is no surprise that our long-standing success is built on the teamwork of our workers. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for a Project Manager and/or Assistant Project Manager position at our New Brighton, MN location, also the Corporate Headquarters for our parent company, APi Group, Inc.
This position will accept bid packages; assist in gathering, calculating and compiling of data for use in bid proposals; assist in the assembly of proposal packages; assist project manager in reviewing job progress on paper and in person; order required material, hardware, consumables, tools, equipment, etc.; maintain high safety profile. This is a great opportunity to work with seasoned industry professionals and continue your career growth; excellent opportunity for advancement. Travel 10-20%.
As part of your development, this position requires a potential 6-12 months relocation working on a project site. Depending on location, monthly trips home are available. Due to the nature of our projects, this field experience is necessary for growth in the company.
Degree in construction management, engineering or construction related field or equivalent.
- 1-3 years previous experience in construction; industrial construction strongly preferred.
- Ability to read drawings.
- Ability to perform quantitative take-offs / estimate.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and computer skills.
- Proven successful oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong detail orientation, accuracy is a must.
- Other traits we are seeking: self-motivated, sense of urgency, reliable, persistent, quick learner with the ability to readily assimilate and retain new knowledge.
- Must have proven ability to handle several tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to travel 10-20% of the time.
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
Receive, review, and understand full spectrum of RFQ bid documents to include, but not limited to, insulation & lagging specifications, architectural siding specifications, scaffolding requirements, scope descriptions, contract terms & conditions, all types of drawings (isometric, P&ID, orthographic, etc.).
- Perform quantitative take-offs to determine project quantities from bid drawings.
- Apply take-off quantities into an estimating spreadsheet in order to develop bid costs for use in proposals.
- Assist Sr. Project Managers and Business Development Team in preparation of proposal documents.
- Maintain files of working documents to serve as a back-up to the estimate.
- Assist in preparation of cost analysis reports on a regular basis for record keeping and presentation to management as necessary.
- Participate in developing current project updates to include, but not limited to the following:
- Preparing and updating material bill of material quantities
- Developing all types of schedules
- Tracking project progress for internal use and for the customer
- Tracking estimated vs. actual for all project facets including productivity, material costs, fee costs, consumable costs, etc.
- Prepare progress requests (invoices) for submittal to customer and follow up with customer to ensure prompt payment is received for work completed.
- Write various correspondences to customers & owners on matters of importance.
- Participate in evaluation of completed jobs and compile accurate cost histories for use in future estimates.
Medical, Dental, Life Insurance, Long-Term Disability, 401K, ESOP.
Pay depends on your level of experience and education.
See all of our current job openings.