Company: American Fire Protection Group, Inc.
Location: Edina, MN
American Fire Protection Group (www.afpgusa.com) is a multimillion dollar company comprised of multiple offices strategically located throughout the country. With our seamless network of full-service life safety divisions, we can work with regional and national companies on local levels and life safety projects in facilities across the country.
As a result of our continued growth and a recent promotion, we are currently seeking candidates for a Payroll Specialist position at our corporate office in Edina, Minnesota.
The Payroll Specialist is a member of the Finance team who will ensure accurate processing and recording of the company’s payroll, provide timely and accurate financial information, and participate in daily reporting and payroll processing. This position reports to the Payroll Manager. Hours are typically 8:00-5:00 M-F.
- 2-5 years’ experience processing multi-state payrolls and frequencies
- Union payroll experience helpful
- Knowledge of payroll best practices and federal and state regulations
- Proven computer proficiency (Outlook, Word) with strong Excel skills
- High aptitude for customer service and time management
- Strong work ethic and team player
- Maintain confidentiality
- Well-developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Post high school education or college degree is preferred
- Comprehensive understanding of payroll - general ledger
- Thorough knowledge of benefits and proper taxation
- In-depth knowledge of multi-state tax jurisdictions
- Dependable, accurate, and detail oriented
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Ability to effectively organize, prioritize, and successfully manage multiple tasks
- Must be a self-starter who takes the initiative and anticipates needs
- Proficient in data entry and information management
- Ability to communicate with all levels of management and employees effectively and professionally
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics AX preferred but not required
- Knowledge of StaffRight/Time Keeping Software preferred but not required
- Process employee data (new hires, changes, terminations, additional earnings)
- Enter garnishment calculations and provide a weekly report to accounts payable
- Assist in reconciling payroll before transmission for 15 divisions, validating reports
- Maintain the integrity of all payroll data
- Communicate with external clients and provide timely responses to questions and inquiries
- Provide weekly certified payroll reports to divisions
- Provide monthly reports for Controller, Payroll Leader, HR, and President/CEO
- Research and resolve tax issues
- Process accurate and timely year-end reporting when necessary
- Prepare reports and assist in annual 401(k) and Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) and Profit-Sharing audits
- Maintain database with prevailing wage rates
- Assist with special projects as requested
- Assist in printing and preparing weekly pay statements for mailing
- Make corrections in timekeeping software (StaffRight) when needed
- Respond to inquiries from APi Group (our parent company), Controller, Vice President of Operations and President/CEO of AFPG
- Perform other related duties as assigned
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Long-Term Disability, 401K with company match, and a Profit-Sharing Plan. American Fire Protection Group, Inc. is proud to be a part of APi Group, Inc. (www.apigroupinc.com), an energetic organization providing leadership to a diverse family of companies dedicated to delivering innovative solutions to the construction industry. APi Group Inc. and its subsidiary companies are an equal opportunity employer and part of the Drug-Free Workplace Act.
Pay depends on your level of experience and education.
If you are interested in this opportunity and in joining our team, please forward your resume and cover letter with salary requirements as directed below.
If you are being considered further for this position, we will be in contact with you in the near future.
No phone calls, please.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
See all of our current job openings.