Design Engineer and Project Manager
Company: Viking Automatic Sprinkler Company
Location: Duluth, MN
Viking Fire Protection Group (VFPG) and its subsidiaries are more than a company. We are a family of unique individuals committed to our purpose, our values, and each other. And we believe in making our own luck, creating our own opportunities. VFPG accomplishes this by constantly innovating, finding ways to create new value and seizing new opportunities.
Protecting lives and property since 1924, VFPG and its subsidiaries specializes in Life Safety Systems. Our values are simple: integrity, quality, safety, professionalism, commitment.
As a Design Engineer/Project Manager, this individual will design, coordinate, and project manage fire sprinkler systems for commercial, industrial, and residential buildings. He or she will design and create the finished representation for the sprinkler systems using drawing and drafting skills and tools. The drawings produced will be used as a guide by every other link in the chain of construction, both on-site and in the office. This person will have responsibility for the initial planning of a project including scheduling of time, creating material stock listing, analyzing changes, and solving problems.
- Engineering degree or applicable other degree from a technical school or college
- Demonstrated ability with AutoCAD, AutoSprink, HydraCAD, or other specialized fire sprinkler layout software
- Proven ability and track record of performing work in a timely manner and meeting deadlines
- Supervisory experience is a plus
- Experience in commercial, industrial, and residential construction
- Detail-oriented and skilled in free hand and mechanical lettering and drawings
- Willing to coordinate and work well with others
- Possess excellent communication skills-written and verbal
- Willing to pass a post-offer drug test, background and reference check
- Review construction contract documents and coordinate with sub-contractors and General Contractor/owner to gather the required information to design the project s sprinkler system
- Through use of analytical thinking and problem solving, determine construction feasibility and systems possibilities
- Create detailed drawings through extensive use of AutoCAD, AutoSprink, or HydraCAD type programs
- Create stock list for all material required throughout the project
- Perform hydraulic calculations
- Develop initial schedules for preliminary project work
- Maintain design historical records and historical records for all functions for future use
- Develop positive and ongoing relationships with customers to ensure company is meeting customers expectations
- Coordinate with other departments within office to ensure proper handover of job information
- Conduct long range project planning and scheduling
- Monitor and manage projects to comply with safety, quality, productivity, and profitability requirements
- Directly manage field labor force of assigned project to assure maximum productivity
- Track employee hours and crew mix rates for each project
- Ensure proper staffing is in place on each project
- Identify changes in projects that impact cost, schedule, or labor requirements
- Make sure change orders/change estimates are completed in timely manner
- Monitor project billings for accuracy and maintenance of a positive cash flow
- Continually monitor progress of projects; review reports to ensure compliance with schedule and budgetary guidelines
- Assist/lead during field check stage of the project
- Forecast future manpower requirements
- Oversee work of subcontractors
- Ensure work complies with codes and permits
- Administer construction contracts, approve work quality and payment requests
- Report to owner and general contractor about progress and any necessary modifications required
- Recommend improvements in project management procedures and overall company business practices
APi Group provides competitive compensation and benefits that support the total well-being of you and your family, as well as providing formal learning and development opportunities to continue building great leaders. What we offer: Health, Life, Dental and Vision Insurance, Flex Spending (FSA), 401(k), Plan Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP), Profit Sharing Plan, Paid Time Off (PTO) and Paid Holidays.
Pay depends on your level of experience and education.
See all of our current job openings.