Company: American Fire Protection Group, Inc.
Location: Dallas, TX
American Fire Protection Group (AFPG) is growing! Because of that growth, we are seeking qualified applicants for an open Senior Designer position in our Dallas, TX office working for AFPG nationwide. The Senior Designer has a direct impact on the success of our business, making tangible contributions valued by the company and our customers.
- Enjoy variety in your work
- Value building relationships with others and have a knack for it
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment doing challenging work
…then we would love to hear from you!
What makes someone successful in this role?
- Being detail-oriented and organized is paramount.
- Bringing consistent excellence to work completed.
- Following through on commitments.
- A coachable attitude, open to feedback.
- Expert-level time management.
What can you expect to accomplish in your first year on the job?
- Developing an understanding of the current flow of work and how to make minor changes to provide major improvements.
- Designing a variety of projects across 10 offices.
- Potentially training new Engineers.
- Improving flow of your handoffs from Sales to Design and Design to Field.
- Optimizing design for code compliant and labor-efficient installation.
Why Choose to Work for AFPG?
- We offer competitive pay for experienced fire protection experts. Pay is based on the level of experience you have in the fire protection industry.
- We are owned by the APi Group, a publicly traded, multi-billion-dollar corporation based in Minnesota. This is a benefit that provides financial support and backing, world-class training, and leadership development.
- We offer an industry leading benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, flex spending, tuition reimbursements, a generous profit-sharing program, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, and an employer-matched 401(K).
- We strongly believe in promoting from within. Every employee has the opportunity to participate in our Individual Development Plan (IDP) process. If you have the drive to make a better career for yourself, we will help you achieve that goal.
- We strongly advocate for the use of the most current technology our industry has to offer.
- We are an engaged organization with strong and authentic values, with clear evidence of trust and fairness, where two-way promises and commitments are understood and fulfilled.
- We hire people whose values align with ours. This is a key element of our People/Talent Development Operating Code tenet.
- Many of our employees have worked with us for over 30 years. We believe if you invest in the right people, you will create long-lasting professional relationships that benefit everyone.
- We have a longstanding commitment to hire veterans, both in the field and in the office.
- Applicable Engineering or Technical degree from a technical school or college
- NICET III or IV certification
- Proven ability and track record of performing work in a timely manner and meeting deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong mathematic and analytical skills.
- Ability to coordinate and work well with others
- Desire to learn and improve self
- Software experience using Microsoft Office products and AutoCAD or other 3D drawing programs
- Valid drivers’ license and dependable means of transportation to office and/or jobsites
- Ability to travel overnight occasionally
- AutoSPRINK fire sprinkler design software experience is a plus
- Ability to lift and carry objects up to 50 lb. (ex. plan rolls, ladders, etc.)
- Reviewing construction contract documents and coordinate with subcontractors and General Contractors/Owners to gather the required information to design project sprinkler systems.
- Maintain contract documents throughout the life of the project and ensure changes from bulletins, addendums, ASI’s, CCD’s, etc. are addressed and processed
- Coordinate with other departments within office to ensure proper receipt and handover of job design information, both from Sales to Design and Design to Field
- Thorough use of analytical thinking and problem solving to determine construction feasibility and systems possibilities
- Create detailed drawings through extensive use of the AutoSPRINK computer program
- Perform hydraulic calculations and seismic bracing calculations as required
- Coordinate our design drawings with other building components via job site meetings or 3D/BIM software and Navisworks
- Create stock list for all material required throughout the project
- Get price quotes, order materials and schedule deliveries
- Make initial jobsite visit once materials are on site and the installation has commenced to ensure that field personnel have the correct materials, plans, and direction
- Visit each jobsite at least once monthly; walk through the jobsite to view and audit the installation and assist field personnel with design and coordination issues
- Develop positive and ongoing relationships with customers to ensure company is meeting customers’ expectations
- Conduct surveys of existing buildings and fire sprinkler systems and accurately transfer the information into AutoCAD/AutoSPRINK
- Perform project management functions as required
- Be a technical resource for less experienced Designers / Project Engineers
- Maintain design and project historical records for future use
- Complete other assigned responsibilities as directed by immediate supervisor or other AFPG management personnel
- Assist as required for estimating takeoffs and estimates
- Produce design concept drawings and hydraulic calculations for sales presentations
APi Group provides competitive compensation and benefits that support the total well-being of you and your family, as well as providing formal learning and development opportunities to continue building great leaders.
Pay depends on your level of experience and education.
See all of our current job openings.