IT Project Manager
Company: APi Group, Inc.
Location: New Brighton, MN
Introductory note about this Project Manager opening within our information technology department: based on several expansion initiatives to better serve our internal customers from coast-to-coast, we are seeking an individual with poise, integrity, and influence equity to join us in current assessment and pre-implementation phases in assisting our current IT team and non-IT business unit leaders in delivering multiple information technology project plans through to execution. With a slate of enterprise, financial, and web-based projects in the pipeline over the next five years, we anticipate this individual will gain the strategic and tactical process ownership and relational interconnectedness with senior business leaders to grow in esteem and capability to Senior Project Manager status. Since change management, process leadership, and creative consultation will be core demonstrated skills leading to entry, it should be noted that this is not a role where the PM will be managing application developers, technical support, or traditional network optimization projects. A technical project manager with cross functional project skills, business process transformation, and high influence equity will be the pedigree for demonstrated previous successes in business facing (as opposed to pure “information technology facing”) role(s.)
This is not a construction project manager role or a senior program manager role. Sample slate of projects this year includes Windows 7 upgrades to Windows 10 for all our 40+ partner companies. Multi Factor Authentication project. Microsoft Dynamics AX implementations. (This is not an exhaustive list.)
Required Skills & Experience
- Demonstration of progressively expanding opportunities within information technology.
- Minimum of 5-8 years of project and/or program management experience leading business and technical projects. Focus areas for previous project experience: finance, information technology, corporate business process transformations, change management.
- Experience in information technology project and program management using best practices and methodologies.
- Experience in developing ROI business cases for process improvement and systems initiatives.
- Demonstrated successes in managing scope, time, cost, quality, risk, team dynamics, and distributed team/resource management in information technology projects.
- Demonstrated experience in managing IT projects of up to 6 team members in a matrixed environment (employee and/or contractor) and projects that range between $250,000 to $1,000,000.
- Demonstrated experience in managing external contractors/suppliers throughout the engagement process. Demonstrable expertise in the RFI and RFP process for tool and vendor selection.
- Experience with project definition, contract management, vendor management, requirements definition and analysis, budget management, schedule management.
- Experience with project management planning and scheduling tools such as Microsoft Project.
- Strong process orientation and a solid understanding of project management techniques, methodologies and best practices.
- Ability to guide, mentor and coach colleagues in the best practices of project management.
- Exposure to projects that have organizational change components.
- Experienced managing multiple projects simultaneously. Must demonstrate a proven track record of successfully leading multiple projects and teams from definition through delivery and stabilization.
- Willingness and ability to work core hours Monday through Friday in New Brighton, MN. This is not a telecommuter (remote) position.
Education: An Associate degree or BA/BS is required.
Preferred Licenses / Certifications: Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
Desired Traits and Experience:
- Excellent listening, oral and written communications skills.
- Leadership and team building skills.
- Self-motivated; able to work independently while coordinating activities with cross-divisional teams.
- Budgeting and forecasting skills.
- Negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Demonstrated risk management mitigation in the following areas: budgets, time, people, communications, integration, and scope.
- Ability to influence across hierarchical roles and disciplines.
Travel: Ability to travel based on project needs. 10-20% after initial pre-implementation assessments are completed.
Project Process Management
Project initiation and planning phases:
- Establish, document, and manage project scope.
- Define and prioritize project tasks.
- Establish project goals, requirements, and desired results.
- Create, manage, and update project schedules and timeline.
- Establish project definition, facilitate review with project steering committee, key stakeholders and project team, and gain charter sign-off.
- Define, manage, and update resource plan.
Project execution, controlling, and closing phases:
- Manage project/program schedules and project parameters; develop procedures to accomplish project goals.
- Assign work and manage information technology project resources.
Identify and manage project risk:
- Identify and manage project issues.
- Coordinate the work across multiple projects with other project staff from various functional departments.
- Create, document, and review status reports prepared by project personnel and modify as necessary.
- Facilitate team meetings.
- Act as focal point for project problem resolution and escalation.
- Establish criteria and conditions for project closure and manage closure.
Manage Project Quality Delivery
- Ensure the quality provided and delivered meets that in the agreed plan.
- Ensure that the team follows all formal and informal best practices.
Manage Project Change
- Identify changes from original project scope and conduct impact assessment.
- Communicate with stakeholders and drive decision making process.
- Obtain change request sign-offs, reset expectations as needed, and update plans and supporting project artifacts as needed.
Manage Project Budget
- Establish, track, report, and update as needed on project budget, actual expenses, and forecasts of remaining expenses.
- Work with appropriate team to assure project costs are allocated and reported properly.
- Work with management to gain approvals and process invoices for contractors and software purchases.
Reporting and Communication
- Prepare project reports for internal team members and stakeholders, management, clients or others.
- Facilitate interactive work sessions.
- Deliver presentations as required.
- Establish and maintain team member and project stakeholder relationships appropriately.
- Establish and maintain client relationships appropriately.
- Manage team member, stakeholder, and client expectations.
- Manage vendor relations
- Recommend and lead changes to improve project management best practices.
- Provide necessary guidance and support to information technology project team members.
- Provide coaching, mentoring, and/or training, as appropriate.
- Participate in screening resumes and interviewing candidates for technology positions.
- Measure and ensure team performance; and act as resource in performance appraisals.
Medical, Dental, Life Insurance, Long-Term Disability, 401K, ESOP.
Pay depends on your level of experience and education.
APi Group Inc is a family of 40+ independent companies spread over the US, Canada, and the UK in the life safety, industrial, and specialty construction industries. APi Group Inc is headquartered in New Brighton, Minnesota and was rated the number 6 specialty contractor by Engineering News-Record in their annual list of Top 600 Specialty Contractors.
APi Group, Inc. is an energetic organization providing leadership to a diverse family of companies dedicated to delivering innovative solutions to the construction industry. Proudly tracing our roots back to 1926, our organization is committed to our employees, and it is no surprise that our long-standing success is built on the teamwork of our workers contributing around the world. We believe the individual efforts of our employees uniting as a team make APi a great place to work and achieve. APi Group is a company that employees want to associate with until retirement, and we make sure to invest in their development for proficiency in the industries we serve. We provide a solid financial foundation for our award-winning companies, top-notch training for our workforce, and we deliver dependable service to our clients and general contractors.
To Be Considered:
Please send your resume and any supportive documentation to John Amodeo at [email protected]. Please include your telephone number(s) and the best time to call you. An employment application and self-disclosure statements will be requested after your first in person interview at our New Brighton location. APi Group is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note that candidates must currently be eligible to work for any employer in the United States. Relocation assistance for this position is not provided.
See all of our current job openings.