Company: American Fire Protection Group, Inc.
Location: Jackson, TN
This individual will design; coordinate, and possibly project manage fire sprinkler system installations for commercial, industrial, and residential buildings. He or she will design and create the finished representation for the sprinkler systems using drawing and drafting skills and tools; and will coordinate the design with architectural, structural and other building elements. The drawings produced will be used as a guide by every other link in the chain of construction, both on-site and in the office. This individual will have responsibility for creating material stock listing, analyzing changes, and solving problems. Close coordination with the project leader, construction leader, and sales representative will be required throughout the life of the project.
The Design Leader holds overall management responsibility for the operations of the Design Department. This individual is responsible for the conduct or oversight of providing technical assistance and coordination with all other departments. Responsible for ensuring proper handoffs from sales to design, design to the field, and project closeouts. Responsible for directing, supervising, and final verification of the code compliant and labor efficient design for the project. Responsible for budgeting, tracking, and managing the design department resources to produce quality, on-time drawings and information. Responsible for the training and mentoring of the designers.
- Applicable engineering or technical degree from a college or technical school
- Proven ability and track record of performing work in a timely manner and meeting deadlines
- Proven ability to assess upcoming work and prioritize
- Must be detail-oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong mathematic and analytical skills
- Ability to coordinate and work well with others
- Desire to learn and improve self
- Competence in using Microsoft Office products
- Working knowledge of AutoSPRINK fire sprinkler layout software
- NICET Level III or IV Certification in Water-Based Systems
- Firm grasp of project management from the design handoff through project turnover
- Minimum of five years’ experience in fire protection design in a variety of commercial, industrial, and residential type projects
- Ability to travel overnight occasionally
- Review construction contract documents and coordinate with sub contractors and General Contractor/owner to gather the required information to design the project’s sprinkler system
- Maintain contract documents throughout the life of the project and ensure changes from bulletins, addendums, ASI’s, CCD’s, etc. are addressed and processed
- Assist field personnel with design and coordination answers and write RFI’s as necessary
- Thorough use of analytical thinking and problem solving, determine construction feasibility and systems possibilities
- Create detailed drawings through extensive use of AutoSPRINK and Autodesk programs
- Coordinate our design drawings with other building components via job site meetings or 3D/BIM software and Navisworks
- Get price quotes, order materials and schedule deliveries
- Create stock list for all material required throughout the project
- Perform hydraulic calculations
- Maintain design historical records for future use
- Develop positive and ongoing relationships with customers to ensure company is meeting customers’ expectations
- Coordinate with other departments within office to ensure proper receipt and handover of job information
- Conduct surveys of existing buildings and fire sprinkler systems and accurately transfer the information into AutoCAD
- Perform Project Leader functions as required
- Complete other assigned responsibilities as directed by immediate supervisor or other AFPG management personnel
- Assist as required for estimating takeoffs and estimates
- Produce design concept drawings and hydraulic calculations for sales presentations
- Provide technical assistance as required by the Sales and other departments
- Provide oversight of coordination between departments
- Ensure proper handoffs from sales to design, design to the field, and project closeouts
- Assess and prioritize design department schedules to ensure proper staffing is in place on each project
- Responsible for directing, supervising, and final verification of the code compliant and labor efficient design for the project from the initial handoff to final project closeout
- Ensure appropriate approvals are received and shop drawings are complete so that field crews hit the job with plans and materials at the right time
- Conduct budgeting, tracking, and management of design department hours, and hold designers responsible for meeting budgets
- Ensure QA/QC of installations by field crew to meet code, plans, and specs
- Ensure change orders/change estimates are completed in a timely manner
- Ensure proper closeout documents and procedures are followed proactively on each project
- Provide and/or coordinate training for designers
Medical, Dental, Life Insurance, Long-Term Disability, 401K, ESOP.
Pay depends on your level of experience and education.
See all of our current job openings.